Homemade Toaster Strudel Pastries
- 2 10″x10″ sheets of puff pastry (homemade or store bought)
- ¾ cup of your choice for filling (I used strawberry jam)
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- ⅛ tsp vanilla
- ½ tbsp of whole milk or cream (is using cream you may need to add a little more than ½ tbsp)
- On a lightly floured surface, lay out each sheet of puff pastry.
- Cut each sheet in 6 rectangles – you should have 12 in total, roughly the same size.
- Onto 6 of the rectangles spoon some of your filling. Make sure that the filling is about ½” away from the sides.
- Wet your index finger lightly with a little water (you only need a small amount of water).
- Run your wet finger along the edges of each rectangle (only the ones you put the filling on).
- Then place the other 6 rectangles over each of the ones with the filling.
- Using your fingers press down the sides to make sure the strudels are sealed.
- Using a fork, you can press down the edges again.
- Once each of the strudels are sealed, place them onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until golden.
To make the icing:
- Combine the powdered sugar, vanilla and cream (or whole milk) using a fork or a small whisk.
- Once strudels have come out of the oven and have cooled, drizzle the tops with the icing.
- from dishesanddustbunnies.com
Cheesy Pepperoni Pizza Sticks
- 1 package (12 count) string cheese (low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese)
- 24 pepperoni slices (from 6-oz package)
- 1 can (8 oz) Pillsbury™ refrigerated crescent dough sheet
- 1 cup marinara sauce
Heat oven to 400°F. Unwrap string cheese, and cut a 2-inch slit along one side of each, leaving ends intact. Cut pepperoni slices in half, and insert 4 halves into each cut side of mozzarella sticks.
On large cutting board, unroll dough; cut short side into 12 equal strips. Starting at one end of mozzarella stick, wind one strip of crescent dough around cheese, completely covering cheese. Seal ends, and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat for remaining dough and mozzarella sticks.
Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. In microwavable bowl, heat marinara sauce covered on Medium-High (70%) 1 to 2 minutes or until warmed through. Serve immediately with warm crescent sticks.
Fresh Fruit Spring Rolls
- 10 paper roll – Rice Paper
- 1 medium – apple
- 1/2 fruit – mango
- 1 medium – peach
- 1 fruit (2″ dia) – kiwi
- 4 medium (1-1/4″ dia) – strawberries
- 10 raspberries – raspberries
- 1/8 cup arils (seed/juice sacs) – pomegranate
- 5 leaves – mint, fresh
- 2 tablespoon – honey
- 1/2 fruit (2″ dia) – lime
- Start by chopping your fruit. It is up to you how you chop and present your fruit in the spring roll. I decided to cut the apple and mango in long, thin strips, almost like matchsticks. I then sliced the strawberries and kiwi into rounds and cut the peach into thin wedges. You can leave the raspberries whole. Place all the fruit on a plate ready to make into spring rolls.
- Next you will need to prepare the rice paper wrappers by submerging them one at a time in hot water for 2-3 minutes until they are soft and malleable. Immediately transfer the soft rice paper to a large plate and start to fill your spring rolls. Choose either strawberries, kiwi, raspberries or peach to lay down first and then directly onto of your chosen fruit place a few sticks of apple and mango, followed by some pomegranate seeds and a couple of mint leaves. Repeat for each spring roll, making one at a time.
- I kept the spring rolls quite small so that they would be easier for young children to eat but you can stuff them so that they are a lot fuller if you wish!
- Make a chocolate dipping sauce with 1/4 c. heavy cream and 1/4 c. chocolate chips. Melt and stir until smooth.
© 2016 Super Healthy Kids. All rights reserved.
French Toast Roll-Ups
- 8 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Butter, for coating skillet
Filling Options, as desired
- Cream cheese, softened
- Canned cherry pie filling
- Apples, sliced
- Peanut butter
- Bananas, sliced
- 1 Cut crusts from slices of white bread, and flatten bread with rolling pin.
- 2 Spread desired filling on 1 side of each slice of bread. You could combine cream cheese with fruit, or peanut butter and banana. Whatever flavor combination you would love! Tightly roll up the slice of bread. Continue for remaining slices.
- 3 In shallow dish, beat eggs and milk with whisk. In another dish, mix sugar and cinnamon.
- 4 In 10-inch skillet, melt butter over medium heat to coat inside of skillet. Dip each roll into egg mixture, and place in skillet. Cook in batches of 3 or 4, turning until roll is browned. Dip into cinnamon sugar, and roll until completely covered. Serve immediately.
- from BettyCrocker.com
Tacos in a Bowl Recipe
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (3 ounces) ramen noodles
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese blend
- 1/4 cup crushed tortilla chips, optional
- In a small skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Add ramen noodles (discard seasoning packet or save for another use). Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes or until noodles are tender.
- Spoon into serving bowls; sprinkle with cheese and tortilla chips if desired. Yield: 2 servings. http://www.tasteofhome.com/